labruscagrape - Re: [OFEX] Mississauga

labruscagrape@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Ontario Fruit Explorers

  • From: "Thomas Olenio" <tolenio@sentex.net>
  • To: "Ontario Fruit Explorers" <labruscagrape@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [OFEX] Mississauga
  • Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2006 11:14:22 -0500

On Mon, 04 Dec 2006 09:29:37 -0500, bert dunn <helbert@idirect.com> wrote:

I'm still confulzilcated on why anyone tries to grow varietiesthat are on the knife edge of death in winter

Hello Bert,

I am in plant hardiness zoned warmer than you. Your winters are colder than mine, and yet grapes that thrive in your area die to the ground in my warmer area. The only difference is wind.

During the winter, we continually have Dorthy and Toto waving to us, as their house blows by overhead. Believe it or not, we are at the tail-end of tornado alley that comes up from the States. Even during the summer we have had windows ripped off the house. We are windy.

A wind is summer is nice, a wind in winter "bites" (all possible meanings). Ha, ha, ha!

We would do well to put up wind turbines.

The only grapes that survive here, with no wind protection are St. Croix and Eona. All the rest die back to the ground. I have actually spit out my own St. Croix wine. It is so tart!

It is worth it for me to protect a few vines from wind. Burlap lasts for years, and is cheap.

That is my only motivation. Sure I could buy a pail of juice, but then that's just a step away from buying the wine at the LCBO.

My problem is wind, not cold. (smile)

Later,