labruscagrape - Re: [OFEX] Sprouting seeds

labruscagrape@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Ontario Fruit Explorers

  • From: "Thomas Olenio" <tolenio@sentex.net>
  • To: "Ontario Fruit Explorers" <labruscagrape@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [OFEX] Sprouting seeds
  • Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2006 16:50:22 -0400

On Wed, 26 Jul 2006 16:04:11 -0400, Biz Storms <biz.storms@sympatico.ca> wrote:

This technique sounds neat.
Will it work for apple seeds?

Hi,

Yes. Margie supplied me with Antavoka (sp?) apple seed and I sprouted them this way. Once sprouted the scout troop potted them up as an activity.

Margie said the seeds were ten years old.

I watch one of these trees still growing in one of the Scout's yard.

To be honest... They potted them up in the spring, and I returned seedling trees to them that fall. All had name tags. They were amazed to have trees from seeds they planted.

Sprouting the seeds beforehand took all the risk out of it.

Later,