labruscagrape - [OFEX] Weak Central Leaders

labruscagrape@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Ontario Fruit Explorers

  • From: "Thomas Olenio" <tolenio@sentex.net>
  • To: "Ontario Fruit Explorers" <labruscagrape@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [OFEX] Weak Central Leaders
  • Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2006 12:49:27 -0400

On Wed, 26 Jul 2006 12:26:56 -0400, John Barbowski <jbarbowski@hotmail.com> wrote:

The looping of the leader contradicts what I was taught, that auxins tend to flow down.

Hi,

I think you will find it matches perfectly with what you know.

You want a weak leader. A leader that is slow growing is perfect. A leader that grows half as fast keeps trees lower, longer. To achieve a weak leader different techniques are used.

Some cut back to a weaker leader, some damage the leader (bending, etc.), but the overall goal is the same, a weak, slow growing cental leader.

All trees will have a central leader, so it should be a weak one. By taking advantage of a slow growing leader, you make your life easier.

Reminds me of stories my father inlaw tells about rouge horses. Growing up in a rural, Ontario farming community there were lots of horses through the 1940's. Nobody wanted a rouge horse, even though they were stronger and could work harder. They fought the bridle and tack, and had no fear of assaulting their owner. Some had to be beaten into submission. My father inlaw tells such a story of his father beating a rouge horse off his brother with a monkey wrench to the head. The horse was somewhat better mannered after that.

Taming a fast growing (rouge) central leader is similar. Breaks it's habit if you cannot choose a tree without the habit.

Later,