internetworkers - [internetworkers] Psi (was:Peace in Our Hearts)

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Mark Turner <markt AT siteseers.net>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [internetworkers] Psi (was:Peace in Our Hearts)
  • Date: Thu, 06 Sep 2007 10:47:35 -0400

...cant .... resist ... replying ...

Shea Tisdale wrote:

Basically I call BS on all so-call psi phenomena. Any objective test applied to so-called psychic powers always ends with excuses and failures.

So you've been told. There are actually reams of evidence from scientifically-controlled experiments that prove it beyond statistical doubt. Its simply doesn't get the media attention Randi does.

If you truly believe in it or know someone who claims to be such a gifted individual, I hold up the James Randi $1,000,000 paranormal challenge which has never been beaten.

Randi is a carny, not a scientist. His so-called challenge succeeds by moving the goalposts. Read how he responded like a whiny little kid when someone dared pull back the curtain on his sham:
http://www.skepticalinvestigations.org/exam/Sean_Randichallenge.htm

That's not to say that every so-called psychic is legit. Similarly, just because some 'financial advisors' are con artists doesn't mean all of them are. Randi's reputation is staked on producing a negative result, thus he has no real interest in judging objectively.

In all cases, use your brain. Don't take anyone's word (mine, Randi's or a psychic's) for anything. Go by the evidence and don't prejudice it one way or another. Being a fanatical, closed-minded skeptic is just as bad as being a fanatical, closed-minded believer.

Cheers,
--
Mark Turner
www.markturner.net