internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] alternative ways to turn lamps on

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "stan briggs" <stanbriggs AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] alternative ways to turn lamps on
  • Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 15:21:52 -0400

scott,

go by any home improvement store to the lighting section. they'll have a wide variety of lamps that, when you touch them, cycle between off-low-medium-high-off. just like the three way switch lamps but different. if you already have a lamp with a metal base then you can install a device in the wiring that will turn a switch lamp into a touch lamp.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Touch_lamp has a minimal definition and the link to marshall brain's site gives way too much detail.

stan

On 6/14/07, Scott Lundgren <internetworkers AT capitalfellow.com> wrote:
On Jun 14, 2007, at 12:32 PM, ron thigpen wrote:

> Some of these old houses have outlets controlled by a wall switch.
> I'll

Alas, my previous placed did have these types of switches but the
current place does not. The two switches by the front door work the
ceiling light fixture and the front porch.

> You could change out the bulb screw socket in your fixtures,
> choosing a
> type with an integral switch.  These are cost about a buck at the

I'm not familiar with this. The light fixture I don't like is in the
ceiling, so if I'm understand you correctly I don't think I want to
hang my lamps out of what would be ceiling mounted socket.

What's a touch lamp?

- SL

---
Come and play at the InterNetWorkers Web site!  http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

Stan B. Briggs
+1-919-414-9513
www.oBoJ.org: openBBQ/openJam is the open source community coming together for the benefit of society. our events and work are for the purpose of raising awareness, raising funds, and performing activities for good causes. participation is open to all who wish to support worthwhile public causes.