internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Texas Republican Representative wants to monitor all Emails, IMs, Etc.

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Childers.Paula AT epamail.epa.gov
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Texas Republican Representative wants to monitor all Emails, IMs, Etc.
  • Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2007 10:16:53 -0500

Please note I have changed the subject line to more accurately reflect
the character of the information provided. "Congress" cannot be said to
"want" anything unless that body has voted on the issue at hand and
passed it. Until then, the use of "want" should be restricted to those
who are supporting the bill. This is a far more important question, it
seems to me.

Incorrect language used in an inflammatory manner that confuses the
issue (namely, who exactly is supporting this - the Democrats who now
control Congress, or the Republicans who have actually introduced the
bill? ) smacks of reckless politics. Who is the author wanting to
vilify? If it's only the supporters of the bill, I don't think he's
accomplished his goal by using that title.

Paula

internetworkers-bounces AT lists.ibiblio.org wrote on 02/14/2007 08:48:25
AM:

> That's the kind of subject line that would send me to Snopes.com for
> some fact-checking. But when the sender is Christian Stalberg, I know
> it is for real.
>
> TaB
>
> Christian Stalberg wrote:
> > http://agonist.

org/josh_nelson/20070211/action_congress_wants_to_monitor_all_emails_ims_etc

> > A bill introduced last week by Representative Lamar Smith (R-TX) is
> > beginning to raise eyebrows.
> >

> > [It] would require ISPs to record all users' surfing activity, IM
> > conversations and email traffic indefinitely.
> > The bill, dubbed the Safety Act by sponsor Lamar Smith, a republican

> > congressman from Texas, would impose fines and a prison term of one
year on
> > ISPs which failed to keep full records. (emphasis mine).

> > Under the guise of reducing child pornography, the SAFETY (Stopping
Adults
> > Facilitating the Exploitation of Today's Youth Act) Act is currently
the
> > gravest threat to digital privacy rights on the Internet. Given the

> > increasing tendency of people, especially young people, to use
theInternet
> > as a primary means of communications, this measure would effect
nearly all
> > Americans in ways we are only beginning to understand. Also,
giventhe fact
> > that the Act requires all Internet Service Providers to record the
web
> > surfing activity of all Internet users, this amounts to the
warrantless
> > wiretapping of the entire Internet.
> >

> > --
> > "Don't deceive yourselves for a moment as to the power of the great
> > interests which now dominate our development." "No matter that
> there are men
> > in this country big enough to own the government of the United
States. They
> > are going to own it if they can." "There is no salvation in the
pitiful
> > condescensions of industrial masters. Guardians have no place in a
land of
> > freemen. Prosperity guaranteed by trustees has no prospect of
endurance."

> > Woodrow Wilson, 1913
> >
> > ---
> > Come and play at the InterNetWorkers Web site! http://www.
> ibiblio.org/internetworkers/
> > You are currently subscribed to InterNetWorkers mailing list
> > To unsubscribe visit http://lists.ibiblio.
> org/mailman/listinfo/internetworkers
> >

> - --
> -
> Thomas A. Beckett, JD & MBA Business Law and Consulting
> 828-713-1668 <http://www.tbeckett.com>
919-824-5696
<http://www.tbeckett.com/verification.html>