internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Congress wants to monitor all Emails, IMs, Etc.

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Thomas Beckett <thomas AT tbeckett.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Congress wants to monitor all Emails, IMs, Etc.
  • Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2007 08:48:25 -0500

That's the kind of subject line that would send me to Snopes.com for
some fact-checking. But when the sender is Christian Stalberg, I know
it is for real.

TaB

Christian Stalberg wrote:
> http://agonist.org/josh_nelson/20070211/action_congress_wants_to_monitor_all_emails_ims_etc
>

> A bill introduced last week by Representative Lamar Smith (R-TX) is
> beginning to raise eyebrows.
>

> [It] would require ISPs to record all users' surfing activity, IM
> conversations and email traffic indefinitely.
> The bill, dubbed the Safety Act by sponsor Lamar Smith, a republican
> congressman from Texas, would impose fines and a prison term of one year on
> ISPs which failed to keep full records. (emphasis mine).

> Under the guise of reducing child pornography, the SAFETY (Stopping Adults
> Facilitating the Exploitation of Today's Youth Act) Act is currently the
> gravest threat to digital privacy rights on the Internet. Given the
> increasing tendency of people, especially young people, to use the Internet
> as a primary means of communications, this measure would effect nearly all
> Americans in ways we are only beginning to understand. Also, given the fact
> that the Act requires all Internet Service Providers to record the web
> surfing activity of all Internet users, this amounts to the warrantless
> wiretapping of the entire Internet.
>

> --
> "Don't deceive yourselves for a moment as to the power of the great
> interests which now dominate our development." "No matter that there are
> men
> in this country big enough to own the government of the United States. They
> are going to own it if they can." "There is no salvation in the pitiful
> condescensions of industrial masters. Guardians have no place in a land of
> freemen. Prosperity guaranteed by trustees has no prospect of endurance."
>
> Woodrow Wilson, 1913

- --
Thomas A. Beckett, JD & MBA Business Law and Consulting
828-713-1668 <http://www.tbeckett.com> 919-824-5696
Authentication instructions: <http://www.tbeckett.com/verification.html>