internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Question about <META> description and keywords tags

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Michael Czeiszperger <michael AT czeiszperger.org>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Question about <META> description and keywords tags
  • Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 17:55:36 -0400

On Apr 24, 2006, at 11:00 PM, Calvin Powers wrote:

I've read in several web books that it is important that I create META
tags for keywords and description information for my web pages so that
search engines will index my site more accurately. So I diligently did
this, but based on my informal experiments it seems that my site pages
are coming up less that ever, not more.

My company gets most of our leads from Google ranking, and so ranking is extremely important to us. Not very smart, I'll agree, but having a good Google ranking is the cheapest form of advertising, and IMHO brings in the best leads. After all, who doesn't use the web when looking for information?

META tags have little or no effect on ranking, but they are simply part of having your web page in order, like having the title say something useful.

In terms of your Google ranking, all search engines try to return links that are relevant to their customers, so the best thing you can do is actually be relevant!

"We are all capable of believing things which we know to be untrue, and then, when we are finally proved wrong, impudently twisting the facts so as to show that we were right. Intellectually, it is possible to carry on this process for an indefinite time: The only check on it is that sooner or later a false belief bumps up against solid reality, usually on a battlefield."
-- G. Orwell