internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Question about <META> description and keywords tags

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Steven Champeon <schampeo AT hesketh.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Question about <META> description and keywords tags
  • Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2006 17:21:33 -0400

on Mon, Apr 24, 2006 at 11:00:55PM -0400, Calvin Powers wrote:
> Howdy all,
>
> I've read in several web books that it is important that I create META
> tags for keywords and description information for my web pages so that
> search engines will index my site more accurately. So I diligently did
> this, but based on my informal experiments it seems that my site pages
> are coming up less that ever, not more.

Hm. I'm no SEO expert, though others here may be able to help you, but
as I understand it meta tags are only a part of the whole. It used to be
that what you put in the meta "description" was displayed by the search
engine as part of the result; Google changed the world of SEO through
its PageRank algorithm, and so meta keywords themselves are perhaps less
important than they were before.

> My question is this. When I put a <META name="keywords"
> content="keyword1, keyword2, keyword3"> tag in my <HEAD> section, are
> these keywords _in addition_ to the keywords that a search engine will
> build for my site or are these keywords _instead of_ the keywords
> found on the site?

It varies between search engine. A good resource for this is Danny
Sullivan's SearchEngineWatch:

http://www.searchenginewatch.com
http://searchenginewatch.com/webmasters/article.php/2167931

HTH,