internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] "A democracy can die of too many lies"

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: matusiak <dave AT matusiak.org>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] "A democracy can die of too many lies"
  • Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 16:39:15 -0400

On May 18, 2005, at 2:42 PM, Jim Allman wrote:

On May 18, 2005, at 2:19 PM, Michael Czeiszperger wrote:
I think the sentiments need to be repeated until we no longer have media outlets being directly controlled by political parties & industry.

There's the rub. Who pays, then?

Lame "press-release journalism" is largely a result of simple cost-cutting in all industries. It takes time and talent to dig and document a big story, and even more time to build credibility with the public.

Who has that kind of money, and is willing to pay even if they're liable to be skewered sometimes?

Uhhh... The United States public? Our taxes go to support a lot of things, CPB being one of them. The problem is that this is no longer a neutral organization whose intention is the better serve the American people.

There is no rub. There is only manipulation.