internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] "A democracy can die of too many lies"

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Michael Czeiszperger <michael AT czeiszperger.org>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] "A democracy can die of too many lies"
  • Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 09:55:57 -0400

On May 17, 2005, at 11:59 PM, matusiak wrote:

http://www.salon.com/news/feature/2005/05/17/moyers/

A good read on media criticism by Bill Moyers.

Moyers is absolutely spot on:

"One reason I'm in hot water is because my colleagues and I at 'Now' didn't play by the conventional rules of Beltway journalism. Those rules divide the world into Democrats and Republicans, liberals and conservatives, and allow journalists to pretend they have done their job if, instead of reporting the truth behind the news, they merely give each side an opportunity to spin the news."

If you put up a large switch in a cave somewhere, with a sign on it saying "End-
of-the-World Switch. PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH", the paint wouldn't even have time
to dry. -- Pratchett
-- michael at czeiszperger dot org, Chapel Hill, NC