internetworkers - RE: [internetworkers] Wireless Router Recommendations?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Colleen McCarthy" <cmccarthy1 AT nc.rr.com>
  • To: "'Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/'" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [internetworkers] Wireless Router Recommendations?
  • Date: Fri, 13 May 2005 18:42:31 -0400

Thanks to everyone for the recommendations! Linksys seems to have it. If I
can't see needing more that four wired ports, is the WRT54GX the best unit
to get? Here's what the Linksys page says about it:

The Wireless-G Networking Solution with SRX Speed and Range eXpansion

The Wireless-G Broadband Router with SRX is really three devices in one box.
First, there's the Wireless Access Point, which lets you connect Wireless-G,
Wireless-B, and other performance-enhanced SRX devices to the network.
There's also a built-in 4-port full-duplex 10/100 Switch to connect your
wired-Ethernet devices together. Finally, the Router function ties it all
together and lets your whole network share a high-speed cable or DSL
Internet connection.

The Wireless-G Broadband Router with SRX combines smart antenna technology
with standards-based Wireless-G (802.11g) networking. By overlaying the
signals of two Wireless-G compatible radios, the "Multiple In, Multiple Out"
(MIMO) technology effectively doubles the data rate. Unlike ordinary
wireless networking technologies that are confused by signal reflections,
MIMO actually uses these reflections to increase the range and reduce "dead
spots" in the wireless coverage area. The robust signal travels farther,
maintaining wireless connections up to 3 times farther than standard
Wireless-G. And the farther away you are, the more advantage you get -- the
higher data rate and reflection-friendly technology can yield up to 8 times
more throughput than Wireless-G in some situations. The router avoids
interference by dynamically switching to the clearest channel available.
Even your standard Wireless-G and -B equipment will work better when
communicating with SRX-enabled devices.

To help protect your data and privacy, the Router can encode all wireless
transmissions with industrial-strength WPA encryption. It can serve as your
network's DHCP Server, has a powerful SPI firewall to protect your PCs
against intruders and most known Internet attacks, and supports VPN
pass-through. Configuration is a snap with the web browser-based
configuration utility.

With the Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router with SRX at the center of your
home or office network, you can share a high-speed Internet connection,
files, printers, and multi-player games with flexibility, speed, and
security!

Colleen McCarthy, BSMT, BSEE, MBA, PMP
(919) 460-0641 (Forwards to mobile if no answer)