internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] What type of English do you speak?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Michael Czeiszperger <michael AT czeiszperger.org>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] What type of English do you speak?
  • Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2005 05:14:29 -0400

On Apr 30, 2005, at 3:45 AM, Scott G. Hall wrote:

In fact, when I moved down here, I refused (and still
do) to call it "soda", and always ordered a pop from food places. Most
of the time I get questioned "what is that?", and I reply "that stuff
you drink that has all the popping bubbles in it".

I've been cowed into calling it "soda", sigh.

I also have to object to calling us Midwesterners "Yankees". We are not!
And Upper Midwest (Canadian influenced) is considerably different from
the regular Midwest.

My Southern spouse insists that Yankees are people from New England and that the midwest is not included, which is one of the definitions according to dictionary.com.

michael at czeiszperger dot org | "Kindness knows no shame"
Chapel Hill, NC USA | -- S. Wonder