internetworkers - RE: [internetworkers] What type of English do you speak?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Scott G. Hall" <ScottGHall AT BellSouth.Net>
  • To: Internetworkers Discussion List <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [internetworkers] What type of English do you speak?
  • Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2005 03:45:42 -0400

I certainly don't consider myself a "hick". My family and I are from
the Indiana, Ohio, Illinois, Michigan area, and all I ever heard it
called was "pop". In fact, when I moved down here, I refused (and still
do) to call it "soda", and always ordered a pop from food places. Most
of the time I get questioned "what is that?", and I reply "that stuff
you drink that has all the popping bubbles in it".

I also have to object to calling us Midwesterners "Yankees". We are not!
And Upper Midwest (Canadian influenced) is considerably different from
the regular Midwest.

Oh, and a question I felt was missing:

When you are having "greens" with dinner, what are you eating?
a) A Salad (midwest)
b) Collared (south)
c) Vegetables: cucumber, broccoli, spinach, zucchini, etc. (California)

And then there is this question:

If you are eating a hot sandwich with deli meats and melted cheeze baked in
an oven with tomatoes and lettuse added after baking, you are eating a what?
a) Grinder (midwest)
b) Hoagie (yankee)
c) Hot Sub (elsewhere)

Also I would have categorized a slightly different set of labels:

Dixie
Midwesterner
Upper Midwesterner
Californian
Texan (Texas, Okl., New Mex.)
Yankee
New Yorkian (New Jersey/New York speak;
as opposed to high society "New Yorker")

You could label the last two: Upper Yankee and Middle Yankee

I find distinct differences in both pronunciations and colloquialism
for all seven regions. And I tend to only understand those from the
midwest.

On 28-Apr-2005 13:50 EDT, Tony Spencer wrote:

> Interesting. I never really heard a hick use that term.
> I have heard some good ole' boys refer to it as 'sody pop' although
> I think you'll only hear that from older folks these days.

{...}

--
Scott G. Hall
Raleigh, NC, USA