internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] One more whack at the dead horse...

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Paul Jones <pjones AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: Michael Czeiszperger <michael AT czeiszperger.org>
  • Cc: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] One more whack at the dead horse...
  • Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2005 14:44:34 -0400 (EDT)

posting with no comment by me from today's daily tar heel

http://www.dailytarheel.com/vnews/display.v/ART/4263a6549af5b

PHILIP HENSLEY
LIBERTARIAN STEEZE
Government mustn't regulate marriage, gay or otherwise
April 18, 2005

Last week, The New York Times reported that a longtime Republican
political consultant married his gay partner of 40 years in December.

That created a bit of controversy, because that particular consultant had
worked for conservative politicians, including Jesse Helms, who have
opposed gay marriage. Plus, many politicians, including both Republicans
and Democrats, are against gay marriage.

So, should gay people be allowed to marry? Or should we only allow them to
engage in civil unions and reserve the right to marry for heterosexual
âcouples? And what is the government going to do to "protect" marriage?

Politicians love questions like those because they totally miss the real
debate about gay marriage. Libertarians realize that these questions are
bogus and want only one question answered: Why is government involved in
marriage in the first place?

[...]