internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] One more whack at the dead horse...

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Jim Allman <jim AT ibang.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] One more whack at the dead horse...
  • Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2005 14:18:35 -0400

On Apr 18, 2005, at 1:48 PM, Michael Czeiszperger wrote:
I don't know what you mean by "liberty" in this case.

Yes, this seems less about liberty in any sense that I understand the word, and more about a government interest in subsidizing (rewarding) behavior with positive outcomes for society. And about that magic word "marriage", which is unfortunately tangled in up the policy discussion.

I too would be interested to see if someone's managed to rank different types of family in utilitarian terms. Or perhaps we could skip the generalizations about "typical" families of any stripe, and just reward positive behaviors. But what? Raising successful, self-sufficient children seems pretty rewarding already, and vice versa.

I do agree with Lee that shame--the hairy eyeball--is valuable, and that we shouldn't encourage people to be so utterly thick-skinned that they don't feel its sting. (I also believe that it's best reserved for truly crappy and deserving behavior.)

=jimA=

Jim Allman
Interrobang Digital Media
http://www.ibang.com/