internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] One more whack at the dead horse...

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Michael Czeiszperger <michael AT czeiszperger.org>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] One more whack at the dead horse...
  • Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2005 14:34:57 -0400

On Apr 18, 2005, at 2:18 PM, Jim Allman wrote:
I too would be interested to see if someone's managed to rank different types of family in utilitarian terms. Or perhaps we could skip the generalizations about "typical" families of any stripe, and just reward positive behaviors. But what? Raising successful, self-sufficient children seems pretty rewarding already, and vice versa.

In my experience the long rants about the dissolution of the family has more to do with independence and mobility. 100 years ago it was a lot more difficult to just pick up and move somewhere, and people tended to stay in one spot, along with the rest of the family. Now its relatively easy to move your family anywhere, so extended families get scattered all over the country making it a lot more difficult to give assistance to family members in need. In fact, with the job situation today, where whole industries change rapidly with globalization, moving for job reasons has become practically a requirement.

michael at czeiszperger dot org | "Kindness knows no shame"
Chapel Hill, NC USA | -- S. Wonder