internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Common Law Marriage

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Kelly Jo Garner" <kelly AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Common Law Marriage
  • Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2005 15:54:53 -0400 (EDT)

> The easiest solution would simply be to scrap the Civil Union as it is
> seperate but not equal. I would suggest gay marriages fall under
> Common Law Marriages as those marriages are equal.

Well, equal on some fronts - but - very few states recognise common law
marriage. And, in those that do, you still have to get a standard divorce
(there's no "common de-marriage").
More info here: http://www.unmarried.org/clmarriage.html

A great line about common law marriage:
"If you become married by common law and later decide you want to end your
relationship, you still have to have a standard, legal divorce. In this
way, common law marriages are very similar to regular marriages: they're
usually easier to get into than to get out of."

Cheers
KJ