internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Laptop Recommendations: DVD Burner?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Lyman Green <lymang AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Laptop Recommendations: DVD Burner?
  • Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2005 14:32:54 -0500

dunno, I think my Latitude's DVD Burner is 8X. I think it's nice to
have one since they are also CD burners and you just never know when
you want to get a quick burn/backup off the laptop.

Lyman

On Tue, 8 Mar 2005 14:24:52 -0500 (EST), Matt Pusateri
<mpusateri AT wickedtrails.com> wrote:
> On Tue, March 8, 2005 2:13 pm, Colleen McCarthy said:
> > Hi Folks,
> >
> > I'm going to get the Presario at Office Depot (I do have concerns
> > about
> > durability, however, and wish I could justify a Latitude...), and just
> > have
> > one final decision to make: Do I want a DVD burner? I don't know. I
> > don't
> > have one on my desktop, but would I use one? Do many of you have one
> > and
> > use it?
> >
> > In case anyone else is interested in the deal that Office Depot has
> > (today
> > is the last day), here's the breakdown of what you get for $400 and
> > the cost
> > of the upgrades that I'm getting:
> >
> > Base PC: Compaq Presario R3000Z with an AMD Athlon XP-M Processor
> > 2400+ for
> > $399 (after rebates).
> > Memory: 256 MB DOR
> > Hard Drive: 40 GB
> > CD/DVD: 8X DVD-ROM drive
> > Screen: 15" XGA screen,
> > Graphics Card: 32 MB Nvidia GeForce 4 420 Go
> >
> > Upgrades and Shipping:
> > Shipping $45
> > Wireless $30
> > Upgrade to CD/DVD burner $100, dual side DVD burner $120
> > Upgraded Graphics card to 64 MB $25
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > Colleen
>
> My guess is that you probably don't need a DVD burner, and most DVD
> burners that I have seen in laptops are painfully slow. Couple of
> things you would use a DVD burner for. Creating movies, burning DVD
> ISO images of new software, or burning a system back cd that can't fit
> on a normal cdrw. Now, I really do like having a CD/RW so if one of
> the combo DVD/ROM/CDRW drives is an option I would look at that. But
> unless you have a known use for having to burn that much data, it
> probably isn't as usefull.
>
> Matt Pusateri

I just looked in the mirror
Things aren't looking so good