internetworkers - XP Home [was Re: [internetworkers] Laptop Recommendations]

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Sil Greene <quack AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: Internetworkers <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: XP Home [was Re: [internetworkers] Laptop Recommendations]
  • Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2005 00:35:41 -0500 (EST)

from Ian Meyer:

also, if you're going to stay on the dark side, make sure you get windows xp pro. helping friends and stuff, several times i've run into limitations of xp home that are just ridiculous.

every once in a while, someone makes a comment that "why do we need the command line at all in 2005" or something similar. it's to those people that I point to Win XP Home and say two words: "file permissions". if
you have the misfortune to need to alter file ACLs in XP Home, your only option is a command-line utility. and goddess help you to understand the
format of that thing.

http://www.mkssoftware.com/docs/man1/chacl.1.asp

"GUI revolution" indeed. *snort*

--s