internetworkers - RE: [internetworkers] Laptop Recommendations

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Bill Geschwind" <geschwin AT email.unc.edu>
  • To: "'Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/'" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [internetworkers] Laptop Recommendations
  • Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2005 15:49:41 -0500

I haven't tried manually increasing the brightness of the screen, since the
dimmer setting has never bothered me. It was just an observation.

Also, FWIW with my machine I get about 3 1/2 hours of use running on battery
with all the default settings, which for my purposes is good enough.

With regard to the video RAM, my machine uses the ATI Radeon IGP 32m chipset
which does use shared memory. Generally (but not always) machines at such a
low price point will use shared rather than dedicated memory for the video.
Regardless of whether the machine that Colleen is looking at uses shared RAM
or not, I would still recommend upgrading the RAM by at least another 128MB
if she plans on using Windows XP with it. The machine she is using seems to
be very similar to the laptop that I have, but not identical to it (mine is
an HP Pavilion ze4800).

Now, are there better laptops out there than my HP or the Compaq that she is
looking at? Without a doubt. But at $399 (even after mail in rebates) I
think it is still a bargain and if it does everything she needs it to do I
don't see any reason for her not to go for it.

- Bill