internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Snow

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Lyman Green <lymang AT gmail.com>
  • To: kurt AT kurtschlatzer.com, "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Snow
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 12:27:24 -0500

I had a hunch. I went out at 11:20 to go to Neomonde (54 location)
and saw two flakes of snow. Went back in, got my laptop and backpack
(with idea I would go home if it snowed) and left for lunch. By 12:15
there was a good pile of snow on the road, and I decided to go home.
What with my Ford Ranger SUCKING on any kind of inclement weather
conditions (and yes, I was driving slow and steady, it doesn't really
help in the Ranger) it still took me double the time it normally takes
going down 54, crossing over on Morrisville-Carpenter to 55, down 55
to Green Level, and then down that to home in Chatham County. That
was a 40 minute trip (again- double the time it should have taken) and
I felt lucky - thankfully no idiots tailgated as I had "drifts"
whenever I tried to accelerate from a stop or stop at a stop sign, so
I did lots of turning into the drift, and pumping gently the brakes.
This was at 12:45ish too. :-) Then I sat at home and laughed at folks
on the TV. Yes, that was mean, but I was glad I'd followed my hunch,
let me tell you.

Total time to get home: 40 minutes, or double my normal time.

Lyman

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 10:05:36 -0500, Kurt Schlatzer
<kurt AT kurtschlatzer.com> wrote:
> K. Jo Garner wrote:
> > Total time to get home: 1.5 hrs.
>
> Envy.
>
> I left work (Oxford in Cary) at 4:30. I got to my neighborhood near North
> Hills Mall in Raleigh at 10:15, where the journey ended a few blocks from my
> house. I've never seen mass idiocy on this scale in my life. Darwin is
> smiling.
>
> The low point: attempting to miss an idiot trying to pick up his cell phone
> from the middle of the road, on a hill. He finaly realized I wasn't going to
> be able to stop and left it there. I didn't hit him or his cell phone, but
> it was close. Next time, take your glove off dumbass.
>
> The high point: Watching a idiot in a Hummer pass me on a glassy hill after
> riding my ass and blowing the horn for several minutes. He made it a good 20
> feet before spinning out and plowing into several cars that were stacked up
> on the side of the street.
>
> I'm glad I traded in my SUV for a Mazda Protege5 earlier this year. If I was
> still driving the SUV, I would not have made it home.
>
> Kurt

". . . No, it is impossible; it is impossible to convey the
life-sensation of any given epoch of one's existence--that which makes
its truth, its meaning--its subtle and penetrating essence. It is
impossible. We live, as we dream--alone. . . ."