internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Snow

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "K. Jo Garner" <kelly AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Snow
  • Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 20:11:34 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 raustin3 AT nc.rr.com wrote:
->
-> The roads aren't really that bad, I have no idea why there is such a
->backup. Especially since many people seemed to have left around Noon
->due to the schools letting out. Anybody hear anything on the tube?

One of my friends offered this suggestion: "THey made people leave
work/school just as the roads got bad." So they're stuck.

My route home pulled together all the Triangle back-road fu I had:

>From South Square area Durham, 751 to 64
64 to Lake Pine in Cary
Lake Pine to Cary Parkway
Cary Parkway to 54
54 to E Chatham St
E Chatham St to Western
Western to Person St

- and traffic didn't stop until just outside WRAL studios on Western. That
stretch was pretty bad, admittedly. However, on 751 there was no ice - no
water - no nothing on the roads, and the guy in front of me was driving
slow because it was cold, I guess. (Slow meaning 40MPH in spots.)
Understandably, you don't know what's ahead, but it was pretty obvious
after 7 miles of clear road that part of Chatham/Durham Cty didn't get
*anything* treacherous.

Then about 5 blocks from home the streets were cordoned off (near Krispy
Kreme on Person); I can only assume it had something to do with a gas leak
because it smelled like rotten eggs.

Total time to get home: 1.5 hrs. That's not even bad in heavy traffic on
40.

Cheers
KJ

"A photograph is neither taken nor seized by force. It offers itself up.
It is
the photo that takes you. One must not take photos." Henri
Cartier-Bresson
www.hungryphotographer.org || www.ibiblio.org/kelly || kelly<*>unc.edu