internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] roll call

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Phillip Rhodes <mindcrime AT cpphacker.co.uk>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] roll call
  • Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 15:56:59 -0500

Thomas Beckett wrote:

To make life more interesting and to promote the spirit of community, I
hereby declare a ROLL CALL of INW list membership. Please introduce
yourself to the list. Here are a few questions to get the ball rolling:

Cool!

What is your name?

Phillip Rhodes.

Where do you live?

Now: Chapel Hill
Formerly: Shallotte, NC
North Carolina native, lived at the beach for 26 years before
moving to CH in April of 2000. Caught the tail end of
the dot com boom, moved to the Triangle, and took a job as a software engineer.

What do you do?

Software Engineer. Currently contract at IBM. Work on Websphere RFID Premises Server, a new product IBM is rolling out for working with
RFID data.

What do you /really/ do?

Watch the Miami Dolphins and Carolina Tarheels play football, while
consuming (beer | Pepsi | water) and large quantities of hot-wings
and cheese fries.

Promote libertarian ideals, and the Libertarian Party, at any
opportune (and some not so opportune) moments.

Listen to Heavy Metal music... all sorts, hair-metal, death-metal,
power-metal, speed-metal, dark-metal, hard-rock, whatever. I have
a special fondness for 80's era metal, especially so called "hair-metal"
and thrash metal.

Read horror/suspense/thriller, sci-fi, and fantasy fiction books. Read philosophy, math, computer programming, history, science (physics, especially) non-fiction books.

Drink Coffee.

Listen to classical music. I like Beethoven, Mozart, Bach, Wagner, Vivaldi, Verdi, and Orff among others. Speaking of this, would anybody be interested in getting together to attend a performance of the North Carolina Symphony? I haven't been since I was in, like, Middle School.

Train brazilian jiu-jitsu - not so active in this these days, but I'm looking to get more active in 2005. Hopefuly I'll be competing
in some jij-jitsu / submission wrestling events this coming year.

Wrestle - again, not too much right now, but I'm a former amateur wrestler, and still a fan, and I'm hoping to get back into doing
some training... more for cross-training with the BJJ than for the
sake of competing in actual folkstyle or freestyle wrestling tournaments though.

Lift weights. I lift weights to support my interest in grappling, mainly. But I've found that I enjoy lifting just for the sake of lifting, and have come to consider myself something of an amateur
powerlifter, even though I've never done anything competitive in that area. I deadlift about 420 lbs now, and have a eventual goal of deadlifting 600 lbs at a bodyweight of 200 lbs.

Take classes: Currently working on an A.S. degree in High Performance
Computing at Wake Tech... once I finish that, I hope to transfer to
UNC to finish my long uncompleted Bachelors degree in Computer Science.

Attend various local user's group meetings: Triangle Linux User's Group, Triangle Java User's Group, RTP Websphere User's Group, RTP Rational User's Group, etc. Serve on the board of directors of Tri-JUG.

Waste time posting to newsgroups, chat boards, and mailing lists. :-)

And finally: too much other stuff to list. My biggest problem in life
is probably that I have too many interests, and so I don't have enough
time to pursue all of them.

TTYL,

Phil