internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Avoid Target Stores, aka the Grinch

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Don Rua" <rua AT mindspring.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Avoid Target Stores, aka the Grinch
  • Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 22:12:00 -0500

> http://www.dailyherald.com/business/business_story.asp?intid=38305293

>Another good reason to shop at Target. The Salvation Army's #1 goal
>.according to their web site is "to make known the good news about Jesus
>Christ and to persuade people to become his followers.", which they
>have a perfect right to do, but I don't see why corporations should
>have to participate in converting people to Christianity.

Part of me feels like this topic belongs in the thread that was asking "what
policies of the Left deny anyone's rights?", because...

I'm drawn to the last line above, "...why corporations should have to
participate in converting people to Christianity". I wouldn't be surprised
if in fact Target has no problem with supporting the Salvation Army, a
charity based on Christian faith. The corporation didn't 'have' to
participate, I think they've been happy to support it for years. The
Salvation has been around a long time, and done great work, but Target
realized what so many voters just recently voiced, that there is a very
vocal contingent willing to attack anything connected to Christianity in
this country. Target's dilemma is that other people would not be tolerant of
their right to be selective about charity choices. I would not be surprised
if they received threats of suits, which are not dependent on having a
winning legal case, but rather extorting Target with bad PR for opposing one
cause or another, and thus push Target to settle. It is the PC mentality
that forced Target's hand I believe.

If Target wants to only serve the SA, or only serve Muslim Mothers, or Toys
for Tots, or Lesbians of Lebanon, I don't give a darn, but it seems many who
preach tolerance have a visceral intolerance for the choices of others.