internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Where are the martyrs for stable and free iraq?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: rua AT mindspring.com
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Where are the martyrs for stable and free iraq?
  • Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 14:28:45 -0400 (GMT-04:00)

Scott H. Zekanis wrote,

>>I think they are trying to free their country from the invaders, or at
least that's what they are probably thinking. I believe they see us as
worse than Sadam.

I'm sure that's a popular opinion, and truth to it in many cases, but I
believe in just as many, if not more cases, the engineer I quoted would like
to vote, would like to see the new government succeed, but doesn't vote for
one reason: fear of murderers in the opposition. Not fear of the US, or fear
that the government is a puppet, not outrage at us as invaders, but simply
fear of harm from those who would take power by force.

I haven't heard of people afraid of going to the polls because their families
will be hunted down and murdered by Marines or the Iraqi police. I'm just
going on quotes I've heard from Iraqi's and reporters there; they are just
speaking out of fear, not political philosophy. I believe they would
appreciate the opportunity to vote, they are just scared. I'd bet there were
Jews being rounded up in Germany who thought if they didn't fight that all
would be well. Safety is concern number one for the Iraqis, but that doesn't
build a new, free country. Risk, work, and commitment build a new government.

Of course, we benefit from the statements and thoughts of our founding
fathers, but we don't have blogs of the local butcher or maid in 1770. I'm
sure a number of citizens in the colonies would rather leave England alone.
Today, we hear so many opinions and voices. In the end, it is those willing
to take action that will often have more of an impact on the future, and so
far that has been weighted by Sadr and Allawi. Sistani did take action at one
point, and if more of that were to happen, the Iraqi's could take their
country back, not just from the terrorists, but from us as well. They are in
a position to make us look much worse through peaceable means, than through
beheading reporters and truckers.