internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Editorial vs. News as it applies to Fox News

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Jim Allman <jim AT ibang.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Editorial vs. News as it applies to Fox News
  • Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2004 23:46:03 -0400

On Oct 7, 2004, at 11:29 PM, James Dasher wrote:
"Grinding axes" would be just as appropriate, and would describe folks in all wavelengths of the political spectrum. But that's what's good about diversity: nobody has a monopoly on truth. Our political and legal systems are predicated on that notion. That's why they're structured as adversarial systems: the recognition that argument is the only way to discover truth.

But if people are strident enough, and there's no shame in a bald-faced lie, all you get is argument.

The "objective" press may be a recent development, but I think it's done far more good than harm. The hazard of the day isn't that mainstream media will smother alternative points of view (good luck!), but that all commercial media will adopt the journalistic standards of a Jack Chick comic.

=jimA=

Jim Allman
Interrobang Digital Media
http://www.ibang.com/