internetworkers - [internetworkers] Editorial vs. News as it applies to Fox News

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Jeremy Portzer <jeremyp AT pobox.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [internetworkers] Editorial vs. News as it applies to Fox News
  • Date: Thu, 07 Oct 2004 15:18:06 -0400

Okay, so here's something that gets me.

Fox News has an editorial department and a news department, just like
major newspapers do. Fox News's editorial department clearly is
right-leaning; there's no way to deny that.

But Fox News also has a news side -- which is what the "Fair and
Balanced" slogan describes. The news is supposed to present both sides,
be impartial, whatever.

Every time I see someone criticizing the "Fair and Balanced" slogan,
it's referring to an *editorial* program, not the news.

Now, I realize that the editorial department is not in a totally
separate world from the news department, and that there could be
influences. However, generally the news reporters and editors have very
high standards for bias, and I think this is no different at Fox News as
at many other major news organizations. For example, The New York Times
has a notoriously left-leaning editorial page, but is usually considered
"fair and balanced" as it were on front-age *news* coverage. Correct?

Jeremy
| Jeremy Portzer jeremyp AT pobox.com trilug.org/~jeremy |
| GPG Fingerprint: 712D 77C7 AB2D 2130 989F E135 6F9F F7BC CC1A 7B92 |