internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Editorial vs. News as it applies to Fox News

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Evan Zimmerman <evan.zimmerman AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Editorial vs. News as it applies to Fox News
  • Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2004 15:34:04 -0400

I'm hesitant to weigh in further, since I have a pretty low opinion of
Fox... but...

Fox is not a newpaper, and in my experience Fox programs news or
otherwise have a heavy sprinkling of editorial content. The divisions
that exist at newspapers, ie, this is an editorial page and labelled
as such vs. this is a news story -- they don't exist on tv.
Viewers never know if they're watching shills or venerable news
people, but they're always told by Fox that no matter what it is, it's
Fair and Balanced. In the NYT, an editorial is clearly labelled that
way just as they are at the N&O or any other traditional paper.

I have not ever watched Fox and not seen editorializing, even from
the most "respected" newsman on the channel, Brit Hume. It's
everywhere. I should say that I have watched quite a bit of Fox even
recently, because I like to see contrasting views, even if I don't
expect to like them -- sometimes I get surprised and it's worth it for
that.