internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] immediate reactions

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Lee Haslup <biglee AT haslups.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] immediate reactions
  • Date: Sun, 03 Oct 2004 13:59:36 -0400

James Dasher wrote:

I forget who it was - a general, possibly 19th century? but not American, I don't think - who said, "War is a series of catastrophes resulting in victory."

His name was Georges Clemenceau and, amusingly, he was French. He was, among other things, the Prime Minister during WWI. You can read about him at http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/FWWclemenceau.htm
As to reactions the the debate, rather than reactions to the reactions of the reactions to the reaction to the war in Iraq: polls are starting to come out that Kerry's picked up a couple points, and Bush dropped a couple; though at least one poll says Kerry picked up a point and Bush none. But those are nation-wide, and comments on this thread have already started on them.

The poll everyone seems to be talking about is the Newsweek poll and it remains to be seen how well their results line up with subsequent polling. While I wouldn't accuse them or bias or anything they seem to have been the victim of one of those coincidences. If you look at the breakdown of their sample into Democrats and Republicans it appears that this week's poll has more Dems and fewer Reps than last week's poll that showed Bush ahead. The difference is only a few percent but it is enough to explain 100% of the difference in the results. I suppose one could argue that Bush did so badly in the debate that 6% of all Republicans changed their mind, not just about him, but about party affiliation as well. If so subsequent polling should show it.

If anybody's seen some battelground state polls - please, nothing from the DNC, RNC, MoveOn.org, SwiftVets, or whoever - share the link!

BigLee