internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Do all DVRs require subscription services?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: ron thigpen <ron AT fuzzsonic.com>
  • To: raustin3 AT nc.rr.com, "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Do all DVRs require subscription services?
  • Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2004 16:11:33 -0400

Roger Austin wrote:

We now have five VCRs and only two really work. Will she toss the old
machines? Absolutely not, but I digress...

How many are Betamax? You may be able to open some sort of roadside museum for curious children who have only ever seen DVDs. (Just kidding here, you should see my cassette tape collection.)

One shortcoming is that the recordings are not portable. You have to watch them on the box that recorded them. You can dub them off, but that would be in realtime and a pain.

I haven't needed to record two shows at the same time since it never
occurred me as an option.

Yeah, it's nice. Actually takes a bit of a mental leap after years of time-constrained viewing.

It would be very nice though to have multiple sports shows on at the
same time though. NFL on CBS and Fox on Sundays immediately comes to
mind.

Did mention you can pause and instant-replay live programming?

Oh, and by tuning in to a show, hitting record and walking away, you can return about ten minutes after it starts and FFWD thru all the adverts?

Suddenly, this sounds interesting. Thanks, Roger

Yeah, it's pretty good stuff.

--rt