internetworkers - RE: [internetworkers] Do all DVRs require subscription services?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Bill Geschwind" <geschwin AT email.unc.edu>
  • To: "'Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/'" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [internetworkers] Do all DVRs require subscription services?
  • Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2004 08:52:26 -0400

> however, I've been paying TiVo fees since 2000 on 5 different TiVos
> now. (only have two active, etc). The nice thing about the
> subscriptions is you just move them to the next one you get, and sell
> the old one on eBay. That's what I've done over the years.

This only makes sense if you plan on keeping your TiVo for less than two
years. The current pricing scheme for the TiVo service is either
$12.95/month or $299 for "lifetime." Lifetime refers to the lifetime of
the unit and is not transferable from one unit to another. If you get
the lifetime service you break even in almost two years. However, if you
keep your TiVo for even slightly less than two years, lifetime would
still make sense, since TiVos with lifetime service generally fetch a
higher price on eBay than TiVos without. If you start paying the monthly
service and later switch to lifetime, the service you have already paid
for will not apply to the lifetime charge. One more advantage of the
lifetime service is that you are protected against any future increases
in the price of the monthly service (and you won't have yet another
monthly bill to worry about). If you have two or more TiVos, the monthly
service for the additional units drops to $6.95/month per unit, so it
would make more sense to pay for these on a monthly basis, since the
breakeven point is closer to 4 years.

- Bill