internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Do all DVRs require subscription services?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Tom Boucher <trekkie AT nomorestars.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Do all DVRs require subscription services?
  • Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 20:39:10 -0400

On Sep 23, 2004, at 6:41 PM, Wolfe, Joanna wrote:

My VCR has seen better days so I was looking into getting DVR

But everywhere that I look, it seems that I have to get the either
Satellite, or digital cable, then I have to subscribe to Tivo on top
of that.

Can't I get a DVR to do what my VCR does - set it to a time and
channel and record without having to purchase all the extra services?

Regards,
Joanna

First off, they don't require digital cable. TiVo will record the regular basic cable.

If you really want to find a deal, the best way to enjoy the TiVo features & get a nice DVD Player is the Toshiba HD400. Bestbuy.com had them for $199. 80Hrs DVR, and a progressive scan DVD player.

But, if you don't want to pay the TiVo service I'm told it'll act just like a VCR. You tell it when to start and when to stop.

however, I've been paying TiVo fees since 2000 on 5 different TiVos now. (only have two active, etc). The nice thing about the subscriptions is you just move them to the next one you get, and sell the old one on eBay. That's what I've done over the years.