internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Do all DVRs require subscription services?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Simon Spero <ses AT unc.edu>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Do all DVRs require subscription services?
  • Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2004 15:44:17 -0400

On Sep 23, 2004, at 6:41 PM, Wolfe, Joanna wrote:

Can't I get a DVR to do what my VCR does - set it to a time and
channel and record without having to purchase all the extra services?

If you buy a used system that's already had a lifetime activation, you shouldn't have to pay to reactivate it. (for replaytv, see http://www.replayfaqs.com/Detail_FAQ_Display? ID=182&Session=XFODJMZQODAGLSI ).

This is handy, because due to the threat of bogus lawsuits, new replay-tv units are much less capable than earlier models. The best thing about the replay is it's automatic commercial skip feature; it's not nearly as friendly as a tivo for scheduling. It also has kick-ass network support; I have my unit hooked up to my home network, and I can watch shows on my laptop over wireless anywhere in the house.

If you can find a Replaytv 45xx series box, you can swap in a great big ide hard drive and you're set.