internetworkers - RE: [internetworkers] Problem between DSL modem and router

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Shea Tisdale" <shea AT sheatisdale.com>
  • To: <jim AT neuse.net>, "'Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/'" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: RE: [internetworkers] Problem between DSL modem and router
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 10:26:51 -0400

Jim Ray wrote:
> > I replaced the router and all is well now. Thanks for the help.
> >
> > While I do have a SurgeArrest, the phone line wasn't going though it --
> > dumb, dumb, dumb. We'd had problems with the phone line last week and in
> > the process of checking out the phone and DSL connections, had
> > accidently disconnected it from protection.
> >
> > Well it's nice when a dumb mistakes costs less than $100 to fix.
>
> [JR>] but, but, but there's no correlation between phone line and
> router...

Well, actually there is some small correlation. The phone line was the
unprotected route for a potential spoke to come in. It hits the DSL box,
but it is robust enough to handle it or poorly designed enough to pass it on
through the Ethernet cable into the router...

Just a guess. But all incoming connections have to be protected by surge
protector.