internetworkers - RE: [internetworkers] Problem between DSL modem and router

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Shea Tisdale" <shea AT sheatisdale.com>
  • To: "'Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/'" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [internetworkers] Problem between DSL modem and router
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 15:20:59 -0400

Judy Hallman wrote

> matusiak wrote:
>
> > Judy --
> >
> > Did you have any power protection on the D-Link router? If not, 'Ol
> > Sparky may have gotten you. The red flag for me is that the WAN LED is
> > blinking. Now, if there were data passing, this would be normal. But
> > since things *don't* appear to be working, I would say that is a
> > diagnostic indicator that the unit may need repair and/or replacement.
>
> Oh, OK. That makes sense. (No special power protection, just the
> SurgeArrest power strip.)

If you had it on a SurgeArrest it should be fine. I would look to see if
that SurgeArrest came with a warranty and turn in a claim on it.

Or if your Dlink is not that old, I'd just carry it back to where you bought
it. Generally they will exchange it. Just tell them it quit working.

> > Can you contact your DSL provider to see if they will swap one out for
> > you? I'd try that first (altho they may charge for such a service).
> > Thankfully, it sounds like that unit took the brunt of the damage and
> > your laptop is A-okay.
>
> Yup. Laptop is doing fine. I think the Zap came through the phone line.
> Last year about this time, I lost both the modem and the router in a
> storm. I'll get a new router. BellSouth would replace the modem (I
> think), but the router is mine.

If you think that is the case get one of the surge suppressors with a
warranty and a telephone jack protector on it. Many include this.