internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Problem between DSL modem and router

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: matusiak <dave AT matusiak.org>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Problem between DSL modem and router
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 16:34:51 -0400

UPS devices are nice, but expensive. I chose to go the refurbished route.

http://www.refurbups.com/

Initially, I ordered 2 (SmartUPS 1400 units) and one had irregular fan behavior while running. I immediately called the company to begin my lengthy process of bitching and within seconds a manager was sending me a new UPS body. Since moving the battery into the replacement unit, I have had no issues with these 2 UPS units. They have been running constantly for almost 2 years. Nothing is perfect, but with a little patience, we can find solutions. (Now, I'm not recommending you run your business on these or anything! But should be perfectly acceptable for personal use.)

Lastly, surge protectors and UPSes don't live forever. I would put a safe bet on 3-5 years expected life. If it has been long enough that you can't remember when/where you bought it, then it might be time to replace that unit. Remember, these things are often magnitudes cheaper than the devices they are protecting.

dave m.

On Jul 23, 2004, at 4:13 PM, Edward Wesolowski wrote:

At 03:23 PM 7/23/2004 -0400, you wrote:
Edward Wesolowski wrote:

> Jim: did you have a surge protector?
> Can someone on the list recommend a surge protector?
> ...now I'm nervous.
> Ed W.

Ed, I like panamax surge protectors. But really anything with a good
warranty will do. Like others on the list I prefer a UPS over a surge
protector...but they aren't perfect either. AMHIK.

Shea: I've got a couple of different SP's I've been using for years. ...don't know if they have warranties tho.
...panamax, I'll look at these.
Thanks
Ed W.