internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Problem between DSL modem and router

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: matusiak <dave AT matusiak.org>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Problem between DSL modem and router
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 10:18:07 -0400

Judy --

Did you have any power protection on the D-Link router? If not, 'Ol Sparky may have gotten you. The red flag for me is that the WAN LED is blinking. Now, if there were data passing, this would be normal. But since things *don't* appear to be working, I would say that is a diagnostic indicator that the unit may need repair and/or replacement.

Can you contact your DSL provider to see if they will swap one out for you? I'd try that first (altho they may charge for such a service). Thankfully, it sounds like that unit took the brunt of the damage and your laptop is A-okay.

Out of curiosity, which "Ethernet light" stays on when directly connected? Is this a PCMCIA card modem on the laptop? Or is it a built-in modem off the laptop motherboard. Doesn't make too much difference, but I'm trying to visualize how all this is connected. Hope this helps some.

dave m.