internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Reminder: Primaries today

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Sil Greene" <quack AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Reminder: Primaries today
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 13:13:08 -0400 (EDT)

ian wrote:
> the weird, unsettling, wrong part is how you have to pick a ballot, be
> it dem or republican.
>
> IMHO, if you're independent, your primary ballot should have everyone on
> it.

Actually, I find that making perfect sense. I do like that
independents/unaffiliateds/whatevers may choose to participate in a party
primary. What I'm not sure that I like is the concept of a primary at
all, in a fashion supported (read: paid for) by my tax dollars. I'm not
sure I'll explain this well, but I feel like a Demo primary probably ought
to be held (and paid for) by the Demo party, and likewise for Republican
or Lib or whatever primaries.

If a local race is unopposed outside of a single party, but the single
party is fielding multiple candidates, move the damned choices to the real
election and let everyone vote in them. It just seems like what you'd get
by applying some common sense.

*shrug*
--s