internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Reminder: Primaries today

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Tarus Balog <tarus AT opennms.org>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Reminder: Primaries today
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 11:23:52 -0400

On Jul 20, 2004, at 11:12 AM, Tanner Lovelace wrote:

Diana Duncan said the following on 7/20/04 9:34 AM:

It turns out that registered independents *are* allowed to choose to vote in Democratic or Republican primaries in NC. While I find this weird, unsettling and wrong...

And, this is why independents are allowed to vote in the primaries.
For many years, it has been the case that for many races, the winner
of the primary is the winner of the election.

I don't see this as wrong, with the idea being that the unaffiliated voter will vote for the candidate who eventually wins (i.e. if you vote in the Democratic primary, you are supposed to vote Democratic in the main election - not enforceable, but that's the idea).

And as Tanner mentions it, in Chatham County the commissioners are all Democrats. If you don't vote in the primary you really have no say.

One final note. If you are unaffiliated, you will be asked to "declare" a party when you vote. This does not mean you are changing your affiliation, and the folks at the polls aren't really allowed to explain it. This has confused some people. I walked in and said "I want to vote in the Democratic primary" and was given a ballot without a fuss.

-T

Tarus Balog, OpenNMS Maintainer Main: +1 919 545
2553
Blast Internet Services, Inc. Fax: +1
503-961-7746
Email: tarus AT opennms.org URL:
http://www2.blast.com/tarus
PGP Key Fingerprint: 8945 8521 9771 FEC9 5481 512B FECA 11D2 FD82 B45C