internetworkers - RE: [internetworkers] Draft Hoax

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Jeremy Portzer <jeremyp AT pobox.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [internetworkers] Draft Hoax
  • Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 12:22:03 -0400

On Fri, 2004-04-23 at 11:46, zman wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Apr 2004, Tony Spencer wrote:
> > This draft hoax is nothing more than a hoax. My step-brother just
> > finished
> > basic training this month. Only 40 were selected out of 100 *volunteers*.
> > Doesn't seem like the military is having any trouble recruiting.
>
> Sorry to piss in your cornflakes, but it is not a hoax. There are bills in
> both the house and senate to reinstate the draft. I don't consider that a
> hoax. But of course if you have some other kind of dictionary you use...

Um, there haven't been any bills introduced. That can be verified.
There have been some congresspeople mentioning this from a political
point of view -- the idea is you get the Republicans to think of, "what
if my son/daughter was drafted and killed in Iraq?" Maybe they would
then think twice about unilateral support for the continuing war.

However, the fact is that there's no need for a draft, and it simply
isn't going to happen. Here are some things to confirm that:

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/news/8500769.htm?1c
As that story says, it's mostly been rumors, hence Tony's terming it a
hoax.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/nationworld/bal-te.draft23apr23,0,6527387.story?coll=bal-nationworld-headlines
This is where Sen. Hagel talks about why he thinks the draft should be
revived, but he has certainly NOT introduced a bill about it. He's
simply making trouble.

--Jeremy

| Jeremy Portzer jeremyp AT pobox.com trilug.org/~jeremy |
| GPG Fingerprint: 712D 77C7 AB2D 2130 989F E135 6F9F F7BC CC1A 7B92 |