internetworkers - RE: [internetworkers] Just for fun

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Michael <michael AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [internetworkers] Just for fun
  • Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 12:32:16 -0400 (EDT)

Tony,

Why settle for just the media, since we all know /they're/ loopy, when you
can read the bills themselves?

But what the heck, you asked for media reports, so here we go:

SF Gate story:
http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2004/03/13/MNG905K1BC1.DTL

Seattle Post-Intelligencer story:
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/national/164693_draft13.html

The New American's blip about it:
http://www.thenewamerican.com/tna/2004/04-05-2004/insider/draft.htm

Seattle Post-Intelligencer editorial piece:
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/opinion/150920_means04.html

Now, I reckon that's enough media. Here's the texts of the bills being
talked about. Note that they're not specifically "special skills drafts,"
and are more for compulsory national service either in the military or
"in a civilian capacity that promotes national defense," so they may not
be as relevant - or maybe they're more so. Note that S 89 proposes
including women in the draft by simply striking "male" and inserting "or
herself" after "himself" and substiting "the person" for "he" everywhere
they appear in the Selective Service Act.

The Senate version (via Fritz Hollings, D-SC):
http://www.congress.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c108:S.89:

The House version (via Several Reps):
http://www.congress.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d108:HR00163:@@@L&summ2=m&;

Also, note that the bills referenced are much older than the news articles
and editorial. The media coverage is from the last few weeks; the bills
were introduced in early 2003 and have been in committee ever since. It
looks to me like the House version has gotten slightly further by having
been referred to the Subcommittee on Total Force, but for all I know that
means it's gotten even less traction so they're just trying to bury it as
deep as possible. Do I think I'll be sorely disappointing my local draft
board for a variety of reasons anytime soon? No, I don't think it's
anytime soon. But I think it entirely possible (if not likely) that
precisely what Scott is describing will happen.

--
http://www.compoundx.org "I want a horse! I want
Michael Williams a horse that bites people