internetworkers - RE: [internetworkers] Economic growth figures rigged?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: burnett AT pobox.com
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: RE: [internetworkers] Economic growth figures rigged?
  • Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2004 17:13:29 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 12 Apr 2004, Kurt Schlatzer wrote:
[snip]
> I wonder if people who exhaust their unemployment benefits and remain
> unemployed are still counted among the unemployed, or if they drop off the
> roster. When I exhausted my benefits, nobody cared if I found work after
> that point and I didn't have to turn in work search reports to the ESC.
[snip]

They drop off the roster. If you're not receiving unemployment benefits,
either because you didn't ask for them yet, or have exhausted your
benefits, or gave up and went back to school, or whatever, you aren't
counted as unemployed. If you have a Masters in computer engineering and
take a job running a cash register at Barnes & Noble, you're now defined
as part of this "job growth" currently being reported.

regards,
Badger