internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] WalMart Sun Linux

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Tom Boucher <trekkie AT nomorestars.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] WalMart Sun Linux
  • Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2004 07:49:11 -0400

On Apr 5, 2004, at 11:32 PM, Alan MacHett wrote:

http://edition.cnn.com/2004/TECH/ptech/04/01/wal.mart.linux.ap/ index.html

Wal-Mart offering PCs running Sun's Linux software
Thursday, April 1, 2004 Posted: 1646 GMT (0046 HKT)

SAN JOSE, California (AP) -- In an invasion of Microsoft Corp.'s home
turf, Sun Microsystems Inc.'s version of Linux operating system is now
available on inexpensive personal computers sold at Wal-Mart's online
store.

Linux for the masses. As much as I hate WalMart, if they can put Linux
into the average (which is not to say middle class) household, then kudos
to them.

I'm really torn on this. We have the 'evil empire' of retail selling something that is based on technology from a company that 'settled' with the other evil empire of computing and if McNeely and Ballmer shaking hands wasn't signs of the antichrist, not sure what else could be.

I honestly think that these Linux desktops at wal-mart are already the way of the 'clean' to buy cheap computers without the MS tax. Not that I've spent time in a Wal-Mart electronics department to see if regular folk are buying the things or if it's just a bunch of out-of-place 'No I will not fix your computer' t-shirt wearing pasty white folk :D