internetworkers - RE: [internetworkers] WalMart Sun Linux

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Bill Geschwind" <geschwin AT email.unc.edu>
  • To: "'Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/'" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [internetworkers] WalMart Sun Linux
  • Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2004 09:04:20 -0400

I suspect that once you start having technologically unsophisticated
people buy Linux desktops for their home computers you are going to
start seeing some of the same problems that you have had for years with
the same technologically unsophisticated people putting Windows desktops
in their homes, namely they will, more by accident than on purpose, find
new ways to break the OS that you have never dreamed of before, for the
most part they will never patch or update anything, and you will have
wide open, vulnerable machines on unprotected, always on DSL and Cable
Modem lines. Hackers/Crackers will find these machines and laugh at them
and 'sploit them to their heart's content. The users will neither care
about nor understand how cutting-edge or geeky their O/S is, in fact
they probably won't understand or care about the operating system itself
at all; all they will care about is being able to surf the web, send and
receive email, chat, write a letter or two, play a bunch of games, and
do other rather inane things, and they will get very frustrated when
they run into difficulties and when that new game they bought or
downloaded won't work the way they expect it to the first time. They
will start screaming and yelling when it takes more than one or two
clicks to get anything installed or working right. Even the GUI
interface will be bewildering to them, and unless the kids are
inherently geeky, they won't care about or have the patience to learn
anything about the command line either. They will try to use these
machines in the same way that they would try to use a Microsoft box, and
will get very frustrated when they find that things are different.

Just my $0.02 worth on this subject. Take if for what you will...

- Bill