internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] WalMart Sun Linux

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Tanner Lovelace <lovelace AT wayfarer.org>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] WalMart Sun Linux
  • Date: Tue, 06 Apr 2004 14:32:56 -0400

zman said the following on 4/6/04 2:16 PM:

On Tue, 6 Apr 2004, Sil Greene wrote:

.:
.:When all you've got is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.
.:
When all you've got is rock, everything looks like a crackpipe?

When all you've ever used is Windows, command-lines seem like a bad thing.

Actually in this case, I believe it's "MacOS", but close enough.
For general use, a GUI can be nice, but if you want to get anything done
on a large number of servers all at once (and hopefully even from one
remote machine), you absolutely cannot beat a command line. Sorry,
Ilan, but you just can't. Please feel free to try to persuade us
differently, but we're coming from different directions (and no, I don't
mean people who use computers vs people who don't, or smart people vs
whatever you want to call them, or normal users vs. power users, etc..).
You might as well get used to the fact that the command line is never
going away, just like written e-mail, or written books. It will
never happen, period.

Cheers,
Tanner
--
Tanner Lovelace | Don't move! Or I'll fill ya full of... little
lovelace AT wayfarer.org | yellow bolts of light! - Commander John Crichton