internetworkers - Re: Users' responsibilities (was Re: [internetworkers] WalMart Sun Linux)

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Tanner Lovelace <lovelace AT wayfarer.org>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: Users' responsibilities (was Re: [internetworkers] WalMart Sun Linux)
  • Date: Wed, 07 Apr 2004 11:28:16 -0400

Bill Geschwind said the following on 4/7/04 11:00 AM:

And it's a mentality like that that will keep OSS from making the leap
from something only for programmers/sysadmins into something for the
mainstream. The commoners who these days use (and abuse) Windows don't
know the first thing about programming, and once you put them in front
of a Linux box with what to them looks like a bewildering GUI they will
complain and whine about it without end, but they won't have the
patience or inclination to work through the rather steep learning curve
to learn how to program and modify the UI to their own liking. I have
used and admind Windows for more than 14 years but only have been
putting a serious attempt into learning and using Linux since January,
and as a Linux n00B I have to second Alan's sentiment that to the
uninitiated Linux is a pain in the ass, and quite a royal one at that!
(Installing it has become rather easy, however what to do from there is
where the PITA starts).

- Bill

Bill,

Who says that the people writing OSS want it to make that leap? The
point is that the software wasn't written for endusers. It was written
because the people who wrote it wanted what it does. There's nothing
wrong with that. The software I write (like
http://search.cpan.org/~lovelace/Gallery-Remote-0.01/) was written
because I needed it to do something I wanted to do. Until you can
convice people that good usability fulfills something they need they
have no incentive to make it that way, just like Microsoft has no
incentive to make it's OS secure against things like viruses.

Cheers,
Tanner
--
Tanner Lovelace | Don't move! Or I'll fill ya full of... little
lovelace AT wayfarer.org | yellow bolts of light! - Commander John Crichton