internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] WalMart Sun Linux

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Paul Smith <paul AT foundryzero.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] WalMart Sun Linux
  • Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2004 14:06:30 -0400

On Apr 6, 2004, at 9:04 AM, Bill Geschwind wrote:

I suspect that once you start having technologically unsophisticated
people buy Linux desktops for their home computers you are going to
start seeing some of the same problems that you have had for years with
the same technologically unsophisticated people putting Windows desktops
in their homes...

I agree... I don't think the WalMart crowd is going to bring anything positive to Linux. They probably won't add anything by way of code or community support, and it will probably fuel anti-linux FUD when this bad idea doesn't work... ("Linux taken off the shelves at WalMart - lack of demand!").
Want to gauge real progress for Linux desktop? Watch as corporations start to realize that they can put Linux desktop in front of rank-and-file office workers. That's a situation where the fact that it takes some expertise to install new software and tweak settings is a distinct
advantage rather than a disadvantage.
Mind you, if Microsoft lost 30-40% of their market share to Linux and Apple, I wouldn't mind that one bit. Hell, if Microsoft lost 30-40% of their market share to Linux and Apple, it would probably be the best thing that ever happened to /Microsoft/. I just don't think WalMart is going to make that happen.

--P

--
Paul Smith
Foundry Zero