internetworkers - RE: [internetworkers] fury over WTC ads

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Sil Greene <Sil_greene AT unc.edu>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [internetworkers] fury over WTC ads
  • Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2004 15:18:29 -0500 (EST)

Reported 04.03.05 14:29 from Tony Spencer:
.:
.:ok, i get what you are saying. don't agree. i'm not referencing an example
.:such as helms voting against civil rights. its perfectly logical to compare
.:the two campaigns.

sure. but in that comparison you must acknowledge the differences in
situation. FDR was in the middle of a world-wide war, in which powerful
nations were busy subsuming their neighbors and generally trying to take
over the world. GWB wants us to think we're in the middle of a world-wide
war, with similar stakes, but the War on Terror is as real and concrete as
the War on Drugs. It's a propaganda crapshoot.

.:
.:the real question is whether or not you thought it was wrong of FDR.

I think your comparison is flawed, and the conclusion you're
drawing equally so. No, I wouldn't support FDR's use of that
... in the unlikely event I find myself voting in the November
1944 election. But note that FDR's button doesn't say, "Remember Pearl
Harbor, vote FDR '44" -- tho I'll agree it's implied, I can also interpret
it as a generic "support our troops who got completely surprised"
statement.

In short, it doesn't smack me in the face with mendacity like those ads
do. And it wouldn't stop me from voting for FDR in November '44.

--Sil

--
"If you put your supper dish to your ears you can hear the sounds
of a restaurant." --Snoopy (Charles Schultz 02-12-2000 RIP)