internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] email service suggestions?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Steven Champeon <schampeo AT hesketh.com>
  • To: "'Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/'" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] email service suggestions?
  • Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 18:52:54 -0500

on Wed, Feb 25, 2004 at 05:59:12PM -0500, Tony Spencer wrote:
> OK. Let me clarify my comment:
>
> Some years ago I registered a domain with GoDaddy. A month or so later I
> decided to add a SSL cert to the domain. Anyone who has bought their own
> SSL cert can atest to the need to have all you ducks in a row. Specifically
> your domain registration contact info must match the contact info on your
> application for an SSL cert.

Which is to say that the Organization to which the cert is registered to
must match the Organization the domain is registered to. OK, what's the
problem? You cannot change the Organization in any registrar I've used,
as that's the only legally binding part of the whole registration
agreement. That's how it's always been, AFAIK.

You should have registered the cert as "Org named in domain reg"/ dba
"some other org" and just made sure your paperwork all reflected that as
well. Not that I'm usually inclined to speak well of any registrar, as
the whole system is completely broken, but this doesn't seem to be a case
of one registrar having lousy policies.

Book publishing is second only to furniture delivery in slowness. -b. schneier